Monday, January 14, 2013

Day Fourteen: Gather Vegan Recipes

Task:

"Go to your local library or bookstore and browse their vegan cookbook selection. Borrow or buy a book that looks good to you. Also, go online and research vegan recipes."

I actually did this step a few days ago. I have three cookbooks I've checked out from the library, as well as my own copies of "Veganomicon" and "Vegan With A Vengance", which I purchased about 3 years ago when I found them to be the most commonly recommended vegan cookbooks on there.

I do want to get a tofu cookbook, though. There's more to tofu than "toss on pan with salt and pepper" or "serve chilled with soy sauce and green onion and rice as hiyayako". My skills, they need expanding.

Had sweet-and-sour tofu over microwave Asian rice. I actually didn't eat it all, and grabbed four Cuties oranges out of the fruit bowl for the bulk of my dinner last night. The white rice just didn't taste as good as it used to, and the tofu... well, we've established my tofu cooking skils need help.

My taste buds far preferred those little oranges to the white rice, and that came as a bit of a shock to me.

Gotta go to the store and buy some more bananas and frozen fruit and resume my smoothies. I haven't had one in about 3 days because I ran out of bananas. I miss them!

Oh, and casein. Sneaky, sneaky casein. Bought two packages of non-dairy cheeze, only to get home and find that it contains casein, which, if I recall correctly, is the thing in milk and cheese that makes it actually addictive to us. Note to self: do a better job of reading labels. Taking that stuff back and getting the Daiya.

No comments:

Post a Comment